Monday, July 10, 2006

 
What's in a name?

A lot of people ask how the company got its name. When Dave Von Bank, the President of the company, had the idea to start a software company he asked if I knew any good names. Since it would probably be an EDA company I tried to think of something related to design or verification. I didn't want to suggest some kornball word blend like Xpediate that nobody would ever pronounce correctly. The two simulation things that came to mind were TimeZero and Posedge. TimeZero was pretty cool since it's a term everybody uses when talking about what is happening in a simulation, but unfortunately it communicates a company that is stuck in the starting gate with no forward progress. Posedge is a term typed over and over again by Verilog coders to represent the rising edge of a signal, normally a clock. I liked the notion of a positive edge of the clock, it's up and to the right, a good trend for a company and communicated a positive momentum, and it stuck.

When this name was chosen I thought for sure nobody could botch the pronounciation of it, but amzaingly enough a lot of people still do.

The other drawback of the name is the domain name was not availble so it became
posedgesoft.com but I guess not everyhing can be perfect.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?